Monday, February 10, 2014

nursery progress

Enora is just about 16 months old. I am still not done with her nursery!  But I have made significant progress this weekend - I finally finished her art wall over her crib. Behold:


I've had her letters up there for a while (they're wooden and wrapped in thin yarn.. took about 1-2 hours per letter!), and the placement for the frames has been set for a while. Slowly over the past year I've figured out what to put in the frames, and today I finally finished and put up the last two. 

I love details, so I hope you do too! Here are some more detailed shots.

Fingerprint guestbook from my baby showers on the left, family fingerprint hearts (close up below), her going home outfit in a shadowbox, alphabet in different fonts, owl painting by Janet, newborn picture by Tracy

I found a couple ideas on pinterest that I liked, so I combined them to make this. I know the fingerprints are not centered.. I did mine first and told keith to center his above mine. Close enough right? My perfectionist self wants to re-make it ( i cut out an extra sheet for this reason) but I think I'll leave it.. we are not a perfect family, and that's ok!

Closer look of these four.. the dragonfly on the right is a pin given to me at my family baby shower to match the invitation

I included some elements sort of as a tribute or honor to Aidan.. can you guess which ones?
  •  The poem on the left - I carry your heart with me by e.e. cummings  - is very, popular should I say? in the baby loss world. Our babies may not be here but we carry them with us, in our hearts, always.
  • The little turtle wasn't a tribute at first, but it seems I subconsciously made it that way. Aidan's room would have been orange, blue and green, and before he died I was really considering an underwater/sea creature theme, which would have definitely included turtles.
  • The poppies on the right. Those are stickers I picked up a while ago after he died. I've always associated poppies with him because I had read that poppies were the flower for August, the month he was due. 
As for the rest of those, the rainbow-y picture up top is actually from a fingerpainting activity Enora and I did last weekend (pics to come soon!). That's mostly my work, as she was more interested in painting herself. The striped frame has another one of her newborn shots by Tracy, and the robot hugging the octopus was from a little art fair when Keith and I visited Christina in Seattle.



On the right we have her birthdate that I whipped up in photoshop, below that a card from my baby shower (thanks, Stephanie!), to the right - a colorful animal print that i've had for years. Next to that, Enora's first picture! An ultrasound shot when she was just 8 weeks in the making. Below that, the button flowers art that Jenn made, and to the left of that, a little card we received at the hospital with Enora's measurements.


Another view

You can see the thickness and depth of some of the frames here

A shot from outside her room - the button E on her door was made by an old coworker.


Obviously I love color and I love that I've been able to bring so much of it into her room. Especially in the last shot above you can see how fun and happy her room is.  I just have two more things on my list; hopefully I can finish those before we move!


.

.

.

Move??? Yes, I said move!  It's not happening soon, but it WILL happen this year! We're determined. 



1 comment:

  1. Dude this looks great!!!!!! Stop setting the bar so high for when the rest of us have kids! ;)

    ReplyDelete